Summary of Position
The Board of Directors of the World of Speed Motorsports Museum (World of Speed) seeks a dynamic and proven leader to set the course for one of Oregon’s most exciting and innovative new nonprofits. This is an opportunity to lead an organization that is carving out a unique place on a local, national, and international stage with a clear sense of purpose and an eye towards the future.
World of Speed is at a challenging point in its development. Having experienced steady growth since opening successfully five years ago, the next Executive Director will be charged with leading the organization through its next stage of development, which will focus on establishing a strategic roadmap for long-term sustainability. The Executive Director is responsible for leading all aspects of museum operations and programs, including institutional and community leadership, exhibits and programs, financial management, fundraising, and building the organization’s visibility and impact.
About World of Speed
World of Speed, a nonprofit organization with 501(c)(3) status, opened to the public in 2015 with a mission to provide education and entertainment through the celebration and preservation of motorsports. Presented in its 91,000 square foot facility, the World of Speed visitor experience features historic race vehicles and memorabilia that tell the story of motorsports culture and America’s leadership role in the world of motorsports. Through regularly changing exhibits and an extensive Archive, the Museum offers visitors a behind-the-scenes view of the motorsports world. World of Speed’s galleries include roughly a dozen unique exhibits, both permanent and temporary, bringing together motorsport vehicles, artifacts, music, videos, and interactive elements that offer engaging and educational experiences for all ages. Education is at the heart of World of Speed’s mission; programming ranges from summer camps and high school automotive education classes to adult workshops and lectures, all designed to provide interactive experiences that inspire the next generation of automotive technologists and enthusiasts.
World of Speed has an annual operating budget of approximately $4 million, employs 20 staff, and is supported by approximately 70 volunteers. This is supplemented by shared services provided by World of Speed’s co-founder.
The Executive Director reports to the World of Speed Board of Directors and has full authority and responsibility as the chief executive officer of World of Speed. Responsibilities include:
- Providing leadership to the staff and Board to develop and implement an overall vision for World of Speed that maximizes the Museum’s potential as an entertaining and educational resource.
- Implementing impactful and high-quality exhibitions and educational programs.
- Providing management and motivation to the staff, including participating in the selection and hiring of staff, conducting performance evaluations, establishing guidelines for staff salaries, and ensuring compliance with appropriate personnel policies and human resource procedures.
- Diversifying sources of revenue, including earned and contributed income, in support of the Museum’s mission and goals, and maintaining productive relationships with donors and prospects.
- Developing and maintaining sound financial practices and managing World of Speed in a fiscally responsible manner within the Board-approved budget and in accordance with accepted nonprofit financial accounting practices.
- Being active and visible in the community, working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations, and developing creative community partnerships.
- Establishing a successful Marketing Plan and awareness of World of Speed as a regional, national, and international destination.
- Maintaining a productive partnership with World of Speed’s Board of Directors and founder.
- Encouraging an organizational culture characterized by effective management and inspiration to World of Speed staff, Board, and volunteers.
Ideal Candidate Characteristics
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Enthusiasm for the World of Speed mission and an appreciation for motorsports
- Entrepreneurial spirit to grow World of Speed
- Innovative and collaborative leadership
- Administrative and management skills, a high level of initiative, and creative and flexible problem-solving skills, supported by a record of accomplishment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Effective financial management skills
- An open and transparent communication style that keeps the staff and Board informed on relevant issues in real time
- Demonstrated success in fundraising
- The ability to engage with and convey a strategic vision to various constituencies
- Strong interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to build effective relationships with all stakeholders
- Attention to detail, combined with the ability to prioritize key objectives
A minimum five years of leadership and management experience in progressively more responsible positions in a nonprofit or museum setting. Possession of a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required; a Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A benefits package will also be provided. Salary range is $150,000 - $180,000.
Individuals applying for this position should send a letter of interest and resume to: Museum Management Consultants, Inc., firstname.lastname@example.org
Position is open until filled