BENTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
TITLE: Curator of Education
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full time, salaried, exempt.
LOCATION: Corvallis/Philomath, Oregon
Benton County Historical Society-Organization Description
The Benton County Historical Society, headquartered in Philomath, Oregon, is a nonprofit corporation that operates museum facilities for the preservation of history and culture. Its mission is to: preserve the material and intellectual culture of Benton County, Oregon, by acquiring and caring for significant collections that illustrate and interpret the history of the area and its relationship to the world; enrich people’s lives through exhibitions and educational programs.
The Curator of Education will manage the educational programming for the Society’s two museum venues: Corvallis Museum and Philomath Museum, ensuring that programs align with the BCHS mission by developing and implementing programs and activities that engage the community.
Major Position Responsibilities
§ Develops and implements museum activities and programs for all audiences: adults, students, teachers and families.
§ Recruits, trains, and supervises docents and interns to help implement programs and ensure a positive visitor experience.
§ Writes or assists in writing grant proposals and grant reporting to support education programs.
§ Compiles various monthly and annual reports detailing department activities.
§ Gives input to the Executive Director for expense budget for education programs.
§ Develops and maintains collaborative relationships and partnerships with local and regional school districts.
§ Coordinates the production of education program materials including docent training manuals and curriculum materials.
§ Advises and manages the Docent Guild and provides staff support.
§ Develops and maintains collaborative relationships and partnerships with local and regional non-profits and professional museum educators statewide.
§ Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for this Position
- · B.A. in art, education or a related field; M.A. in Museum Studies preferred;
- · Multi-lingual, especially in Spanish, preferred;
- · Minimum of three years museum experience or equivalent;
- · Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- · Comfortable with public speaking and representing the BCHS in a public forum;
- · Strong organization and project management skills;
- · Knowledge of the theories and history of museum education;
- · Knowledge of educational theory and practice;
- · Ability to create age-appropriate learning experiences in art, history and culture;
- · Ability to maintain collaborative relationships with area schools and teachers;
- · Ability to promote all activities of the BCHS Education Department;
- · Ability to supervise and inspire docents;
- · Attention to detail and follow-through on long and short-term projects or goals;
- · Ability to work as a team member with staff, volunteers and members of the Board;
- · Ability to cultivate relationships with colleagues, museum members, and donors.
Responsible to: Executive Director
Supervises directly:-Volunteers/Docents -Education interns
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Available to work during museum hours at the Corvallis Museum, Wednesday through Sunday, 11 am to 5:30 pm; ability to work a flexible schedule to accommodate after-hours education programs, events and activities; possession of a valid driver’s license; ability to lift up to 40 pounds; capable of operating a computer and understanding databases; capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously.
Please send cover letter, CV or resume, and a writing sample by July 31, 2019 to:
Irene Zenev, Executive Director
Benton County Historical Society
PO Box 35, Philomath OR 97370