- Portland, OR, USA
- $18.50 - $21.50 hourly
- On Call
- Eligible for Oregon Sick time
- Application deadline September 26, 2019
The Fabricator will apply their knowledge and skill toward the development of interactive exhibits and experiences for the organization. This position will also ensure projects they are responsible for will meet the high quality of build and finish expected by the Exhibits Department and the OMSI organization.
Participate in programs/initiatives to enhance corporate culture, such as:
- Working effectively with and supporting volunteers throughout the organization
- Supporting OMSI's Total Guest Experience (TGE)/Customer Service mission & objectives in daily job performance, including diversity initiatives
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
"Performing the following will involve driving to various locations outside OMSI's corporate headquarters:"
- Construct high-quality interactive exhibits and experiences using various types of wood, plastics, fabrics, metals, and finishing materials
- Set up and operate, with a high degree of safety, various machines and hand tools
- Integration of electro mechanical interfaces
- Construct carts and/or crates that ensure the safe transportation of exhibitions
- Responsible for the repair and refurbishment of interactive exhibits and experiences
- Regular cleaning and maintenance of shop space and equipment
- Work with exhibit development teams to resolve project concerns and/or problems that may arise during the project development, design and build phases
- Ensure the production of projects are within constraints of timelines and budget.
- This position is non-exempt, paid hourly
- This position is on-call, scheduled for <19 hours/week.
- Physical Demands: 10 % Sitting 40 % Standing 50 % Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling 5-100 Pounds
- Vision requirements include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left or right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth and perception (three dimensional vision, ability to judge distance and spatial relationships), and ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eyes to bring an object into sharp focus).
- Work environment includes work near moving mechanical parts, work in high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electric shock and vibration.
- Noise level ranges from moderate (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic) to very loud (examples: jack hammer work, front row at rock concert).
- Fulfill Project Lead responsibilities as assigned by the Exhibits Production Manager
- Travel to client sites in support of development, remediation, installation and/or de-installation of various OMSI's exhibits
- Assume other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Exhibits Production Manager
- Thorough knowledge of all standard tools and processes for production of interactive exhibits and experiences
- Demonstrated knowledge of exhibit fabrication finish carpentry/cabinet-making skills/woodworking
- Ability to work safely and an understanding of shop safety protocols
- Working knowledge of mechanical devices and their integration into exhibits
- Working knowledge of electronic and electrical construction as related to exhibit experiences
- Ability to produce quality products in a production environment
- Ability to produce finished components from build documents and sketches
- Ability to communicate fabrication processes and procedures effectively across multiple exhibit development teams to resolve concerns or issues
- Ability to work with outside sources to acquire technical and material information
- Professional communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to manage production timelines
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams
- Self-initiative to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Understanding of confidentiality and protocol