BENTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
TITLE: Museum Store Retail Manager
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time salaried, exempt
LOCATION: Corvallis/Philomath, Oregon
Benton County Historical Society-Organization Description
The Benton County Historical Society, headquartered in Philomath, Oregon, is a nonprofit corporation that operates museum facilities for the preservation of history and culture. Its mission is to: preserve the material and intellectual culture of Benton County, Oregon, by acquiring and caring for significant collections that illustrate and interpret the history of the area and its relationship to the world; enrich people’s lives through exhibitions and educational programs.
The Museum Store Manager reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for all activities involved in the oversight and delivery of successful operations of two museum stores: the Konick Family Museum Store in the Corvallis Museum, the Society’s principal retail outlet, and the museum store in the Philomath Museum. The store manager trains personnel, manages interns and volunteers, acts as lead buyer, responsible for merchandising and visual merchandising, financial management including understanding point of sales (POS) systems and executing work in a business-like manner. Digital and on-line marketing a plus. 2-5 years retail or store management experience required. Museum store experience preferred.
Major Position Responsibilities
- Develop and manage a strategy for long-term retail growth which is aligned with the overall mission of the Benton County Historical Society
- Develops and implements annual buying plan
- Submits an annual budget for approval to the Executive Director
- Checks and submits all purchase orders, invoices, statements for approval
- Submits all invoices promptly for approval and payment
- Responsible for daily sales receipts
- Determines merchandise price points and mark-up to assure a profit
Procurement and Inventory
- Correctly updates and maintains inventory management systems with merchandise receipts and returns
- Seeks merchandise based on contemporaneous museum exhibitions
- Develops unique merchandise based on museum collections and brand
- Seeks artists to consign or sell work
- Check slow movers for mark-downs
- Check for reorders
- Work with the BCHS graphic designer to create print and digital publicity and advertising for the store. All communications must be approved for brand consistency by the executive director.
- Submits an annual report to the Executive Director
Operations and Staff Management
- Develops an operation manual for the store
- Develops a volunteer personnel plan for store staff
- Implements orientation and sales training for volunteers and interns
- Develops and manages a web-based sales program in connection with the Museum’s web developer. Manages interns who may implement electronic marketing program: Facebook, Instagram, on-line purchasing programs
- Conducts monthly sales meetings; attends museum staff meetings
- Develops relationships with vendors
1. Design and implement changing and creative displays. Plan and install seasonal merchandising themes and restocking
2. Oversee physical condition of the store and fixtures; ensure security of inventory, assets, and personnel
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for this Position
Understands the mission/vision of the organization and can relate it to others, has excellent customer relations skills,must be able to bend and lift up to 30 lbs., has strong bookkeeping/QuickBooks skills, attention to detail, respects other people’s viewpoints and skills, good listening and communication skills, computer skills, understands point of sales systems and credit applications (for approval) and electronic marketing sales.
BA or BS in business, art, or history, or a combination of education and retail work experience.
Must be able to work during Corvallis Museum operating hours: Wednesday through Sunday, 11:00 am to 5:30 pm, and during special extended hours.
Please send cover letter, CV or resume, and a writing sample by July 31, 2019 to:
Irene Zenev, Executive Director
Benton County Historical Society
PO Box 35, Philomath OR 97370