Museum Store Manager
Part-time, Hourly, Non-Exempt, 20 hours/week
The museum store manager completes tasks associated with the retail operations and inventory management of the museum store.
- Maintain a vision for the long-term operations of the museum store that reflects the vision and mission of the museum
- Create both short and long-range goals and strategies for profitable growth
- Continually research new vendors for fresh inventory and ensure that all merchandise is appropriately related to the museum’s mission and order museum store stock based on historic and forecasted sales
- Receive all merchandise, establish appropriate pricing, input item information into POS, and direct all displays within the store. Store back stock in designated areas and re-stock shelves as needed.
- Maintain solid product knowledge, its provenance and relationship to the museum’s exhibitions and mission.
- Lead regular inventory and maintain ongoing records in Square, and provide inventory reports and product receipts to bookkeeper.
- Perform sales transactions in POS system. Issue receipts, refunds, credits, and accurate change due to customers.
- Count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change. Balance monies to daily receipts at the end of the shift without incurring any shortage or overage.
- Maintain clean museum store area, including dusting and vacuuming.
- Stays abreast of all Museum events both ongoing and upcoming.
- Resolve customer complaints in a professional and efficient manner.
- Perform duties required during major museum events and festivals.
- Retail experience required (2 years)
- Ability to operate a Point of Sale system both on a PC and iPad, familiarity with Square a plus.
- Possess a friendly and approachable manner with interest and ability to sell
- Clearance of a criminal background check
This position has no current direct reports but will act in an advisory and training capacity toward Museum Hosts performing retail duties.
This majority of work takes place in a historic building with controlled indoor temperatures and will frequently traverse outdoors between buildings. The person selected for this position may occasionally have to work outdoors and will occasionally have to go into a building without environmental controls to receive stock.
The person selected for this role will frequently be required to navigate uneven surfaces and narrow spaces, ascend/descend step ladders and stairs to reach backstock, remain in a stationary position for up to 3 hours, move objects of up to 50 pounds, position self to reach stock in lower cabinets, and operate a computer and iPad based POS system.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
Hours for this position will be set in a Wednesday-Saturday schedule. Some flexibility allowed in setting hours, but will typically take place when the museum is open to the public.
Find out more.