Museum of Natural and Cultural History
UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
The Museum of Natural and Cultural History is hiring a temporary, part-time exhibit fabricator. The exhibit fabricator will work 20-30 hours per week with the potential to become a permanent, full-time position, eligible for University of Oregon’s excellent benefits package.
$18-$20/hour (depending on experience); remote work will be considered, but some onsite work will be required.
The Exhibit Fabricator is a skilled builder with a creative, problem solving approach to construction. He or she is willing to work through a variety of possible solutions to solve challenges. This position is part of a dynamic exhibit development team committed to bringing science and culture learning to all ages.
Work with a team of educators and exhibit designers to plan and fabricate exhibit elements for a new project that will travel to libraries in rural areas across Oregon. Two themes will be built: “Oregon’s Dino Story” and “Engineer It! Technologies of the First Oregonians.”
- Build “Museum Science Adventures” Traveling display
- Develop construction plans and fabricate high-quality interactives
- Assist with estimating cost of materials and creating timeline
Exhibit Production and Installation
Assist the exhibitions designer in exhibit strike and installation.
- Moving, packing, and shipping panels, objects, and artifacts.
- Patching and painting walls, moving and preparing furniture and cases, building mounts and props, and installing artifacts and objects.
- Strike Racing the Change and install MAGIC (September 20-October 22)
- Experience working with power and hand tools and a variety of fabrications materials including wood, acrylic, paint, metal, and adhesives;
- A creative, problem-solving approach and willingness to experiment with materials
- Experience working with a collaborative team; excellent communication skills
- A focus on safety during fabrication, following and exceeding health and safety protocols related to COVID and general shop practices.
To Apply: Email your interest and resume of qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be reviewed beginning August 30; the position is open until filled.
We recognize that the qualifications required to excel in this position can come from a range of both professional and lived experiences. Below we describe what we believe to be the most important qualifications for a candidate to have, and we are open to many different backgrounds and experiences that can lead people to develop these skill sets. We strongly encourage applications from anyone who feels passionate about the work and believes they have what it takes to thrive in this role.