- Job Title: Assistant Director/Collections Manager
- FLSA Status:Exempt
- Application deadline is April 16, 2021
Under direct supervision of the Museum Director, the Assistant Director/Collections Manager is responsible for management and daily operations of the museum's collections. S/he will plan and implement museum exhibitions and write grant proposals to fund museum operations, especially regarding collections and exhibits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works as “right hand” of executive director.
- Has primary responsibility for object/specimen care and storage.
- Registers and catalogues all items on computer and oversees employees and volunteers working in collections management.
- Transcribes physical accession records onto PastPerfect software
- Takes charge of large deaccession projects
- Advises the Museum Director of any changes in collections' status.
- Writes grants to support the museum’s mission and goals—especially grants to support exhibit costs and educational programs
- Plans exhibits with other museum staff and prepares relevant artifacts for exhibitions.
- Participates in cultural and oral history preservation projects.
- Participates in the annual Festival of Trees and other events at museum
- Attends staff meetings, training and workshops
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work well with others, including diverse personalities of museum visitors and volunteers
- Practice good organizational and time management skills.
- Be flexible and able to meet challenges as they arise.
- Adaptable and willing to work in many different capacities.
- “Go-getter” attitude with proactive work approach
- Willing and able to hear and adapt to many varying opinions and requests amongst the board of directors
- Competent in museum recordkeeping procedures.
- Fluency in English. Other language fluency also a plus.
- Ability to work with little supervision, and bring innovative approach to work environment.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Associate or Bachelor's degree in history, arts, or museum studies preferred or 4 years equivalent experience.
- Experience with Collections Management Database systems, PastPerfect preferred.
- Experience with handling and housing artifacts and archival collections.
- Strong verbal and written communicative skills.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel for training and other business-related purposes.
- Must possess a current valid Driver's License.
Starting salary of $35,000-$40,000 per year for a full-time schedule is commensurate with experience. Additionally, full-time employees receive paid vacation and sick leave, 10 paid holidays (including one personal day), and health insurance coverage.
Please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and three professional/educational references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more.