The Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art (JSMA
) at Portland State University (PSU
) was established in November 2019 as a dynamic, student centered space. Comprising a 7500-square-foot space over two floors within a newly renovated campus building, Fariborz Maseeh Hall, JSMA
seeks to bring art and art experiences to campus and the greater Portland community through interdisciplinary exhibits, activities and outreach.
The Exhibitions and Program Manager will manage exhibitions, programs and events, oversee the student employee team, and assist with marketing and communications. The position will create and implement best practices for the display and care of artwork in a museum, coordinate exhibition details, and will staff PSU’s Art Advisory Committee. This position will manage logistics for events and programs that reach key audiences, including students, faculty, families, cultural partners, donors, and the creative community. This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly organized and detail-oriented museum professional to establish a new arts organization in downtown Portland.
- Bachelor’s degree in the arts, museum studies, or a related field with 3+ years of professional work experience
- Experience working in a professional museum or art space
- Experience coordinating exhibitions and caring for fine art collections
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS office applications
- Ability to work closely with a team as well as independently on projects
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for museum special events
- Ability to successfully complete a background check
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects at an arts institution
- Experience managing teams
- Experience coordinating exhibitions
- Experience developing protocols and procedures for the handling and display of fine art
- Experience managing an art collection
- Experience working with visitors or guests
- Ability to exercise diplomacy
- Experience with the Adobe suite
Key cultural competencies
- Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
- Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
- Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement
- Adheres to all PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be between $51,264 and $59,208. The starting salary may be negotiable above this range, however it will be dependent upon the knowledge, experience, skills and abilities of the chosen candidate, the budget of the hiring department, and approval from HR.
PSU’s excellent benefits package includes 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities.
Find out more.